At Hopkins Medical Group we believe the natural state of the body is health. And every symptom a person experiences is the body sending a message that something is out of balance. When enough of these symptoms accumulate in a certain pattern the result is a diagnosable disease. The symptoms were clues along the way which were missed, suppressed or not addressed and illness was the eventual result.
Our approach at Hopkins Medical Group in primary care and rheumatology is to spend more time with our patients to understand their symptoms – the clues their unique body is sending – and use our clinical expertise along with a well-stocked “toolbox” to identify the root cause so we have the best chance to fix the problem. Our “toolbox” contains innovative tests, nutrition, supplements, supportive therapies such as body, acupuncture, oxygen therapy and others. We strive to minimize the use of prescription medications but prescribe them when required. We partner with our patients and together develop an effective treatment plan.
This approach to health care has become known as Functional Medicine: understand and address the root cause of an individual’s symptoms. As we work with our patients to do this we routinely see their health problems dramatically improve or even resolve.
The centerpiece of this approach is spending more time with our patients not only to understand their history but also to craft innovative treatment plans and provide extensive education so they understand what their symptoms mean and why the changes we are recommending can help. This philosophy of care requires more face-to-face time with our patients which is not covered by insurance. To support the Functional Medicine approach to which we are deeply committed we have:
- Become a membership practice in which each patient pays a small amount ($20 per month) to receive this enhanced level of care.
- Established our Genius Of Wellness 360 Program which utilizes a highly trained Functional Medicine Nurse to help oversee and implement the care plan put in place for you by your doctor or nurse practitioner. You will see your practitioner as well during your office appointments.
Innovative Testing & Treatment
We utilize a wide array of specialized tests to get at the root cause of your health issues. Our clinicians will explain which tests would be beneficial for you to get and why. There are often out-of-pocket costs to these tests which are not covered by insurance. These are functional medicine tests are routinely used in our practice (some of these tests must be performed at home):
- Food Inflammation Test (FIT) by KBMO Diagnostics which determines your sensitivity (igG) to 132 different foods, colorings, and additives. www.kbmodiagnostics.com
- Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO) Breath Test by Genova Diagnostics to assess if there are bacteria in your small intestine producing methane or hydrogen which can cause an array of symptoms. www.gdx.net/product/bacterial-overgrowth-of-the-small-intestine-sibo-test/
- GI Effects Comprehensive Stool Profile by Genova to assess digestion/absorption, inflammation/immunology, and gut microbiome. www.gdx.net/product/gi-effects-comprehensive-stool-test/
- Adrenal Cortex Stress Profile by Genova to assess the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis using timed salivary samples of the hormones cortisol and DHEA. www.gdx.net/product/adrenocortex-stress-hormone-test-saliva/
- Vectra DA is an advanced blood test to measure biomarkers in order to assess and track an inflammatory process in the body. www.myriad.com/products-services/rheumatoid-arthritis/vectra-da/
- Lyme and Co-Infection Tests by IGeneX to accurately detect the presence of tick-borne illnesses such as Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia, and others. www.igenex.com
- Micronutrient Test by Spectra Cell to help understand the levels of 35 key nutritional components in your body including vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and amino acids.
- Environmental Chemical Sensitivity Testing by Cyrex Labs to evaluate exposure and immune response to mold, toxins, BPA and heavy metals.